The week started off with a bang, let me tell you! While Ed was in Reston on business, I discovered that Avery and I had lice! EWWW!! We had both had itchy heads for quite some time, but I figured it was from our shampoo or too much time in the pool. I would periodically look in Avery's hair and Ed would look in mine, but we just never saw anything. On Monday night, my head was SO itchy, I begged Cameron to scratch it while I helped Avery with her homework. It wasn't long before he said "Um, Mom, I just saw a bug." I didn't believe him at first, but he was VERY certain that's what he had seen. I then took a thorough look in Avery's hair and, sure enough, I saw the lice. I freaked out initially knowing my options were considerably limited at 9:00 at night but, after gaining my composure, had the wherewithal to ask Cameron to google "lice removal kansas city." Praise the Lord, he found Miracle Sisters, and I booked an appointment for the next day (thankfully, they answer the phone 24/7). While it was not much fun going to bed knowing there were critters in my hair, I really didn't have much choice. I had emailed Avery's teacher to let her know Avery wouldn't be at school on Tuesday. When we arrived at Miracle Sisters, we were greeted by a very friendly staff (two sets of sisters, hence the name). They worked on me for 1.5 hours and on Avery for THREE HOURS! They literally go strand by strand removing nits, adults, and babies. DISGUSTING. We will go back this coming Tuesday and the following Tuesday for rechecks. Here's hoping they don't find anything!
After leaving the lice place around 5:00, we had two hours to kill before Cam's fencing class. We headed to the mall for dinner and to check out the Series 11 Lego minifigures. I decided the kids deserved a little treat for making it through the afternoon.
Speaking of fencing, Cameron is loving his class! I'm so pleased. It's been a while since he's done an activity he really loves. Here's a short video (he's second from left, first row):
Avery's activity of choice since summer has been tennis. She loves it and is proving to be quite a natural. Here she is in action:
School is going well for both kids. Cameron is making friends through the various forums on the Ron Paul Curriculum site. He and a few other kids have formed a study group, which will start up next week. In the meantime, he's Skyping with a couple of the kids. I'm finding conversations like this on my phone:
Avery's school had a big festival last night. I was really impressed with all the activities they had for the kids. She had a ball with her friends, and I managed to talk to several moms. While we were at the festival, Ed and Cameron were at a Royals baseball game with a group of guys from church. They had a great time AND the Royals won!
| A new picture from my mom |
| A new pail and letters (the letters were $2 at a resale shop) |
| I always love getting out Mr. Scarecrow |
Until next week...
Oh, Casey, you know I sympathize about the lice!! *SHUDDER* Awful little critters, aren't they? We had the same beginning experience with them...Bella had been complaining of an itchy head for a while and I would do a quick check but never saw anything. And I really didn't think lice was probable, having never had lice myself. But one day, she was scratching and I saw like three of them crawling on her head. I just about hyperventilated. Checked Gigi and saw them in her head too. Anyway, hopefully the experience will be distant memories for all of us! LOL
ReplyDeleteI think fencing is so cool and I'm glad Cam enjoys it! And tennis is a great sport--I'd like to learn it myself one day. Our athletic club has paddle tennis and it looks so fun.
Hi Case! Email me! I tried to email you today but I don't know if I have the right email address. My address is: lauraliz@hawaii.rr.com. Sometimes that one doesn't work (Roadrunner just randomly blocks emails sometimes) so you can also try lchipchase@cheemarkham.com. :)
ReplyDelete